The last few weeks have seen massive increases in traffic to Blogging Fingers. You can see I’ve been analysing Google analytics to figure out what caused traffic to remain consistently high.
Phases Of Development
- July, being the 1st month of the existence of Blogging Fingers traffic was expectably low.
- Once I had something to market and felt Blogging Fingers was ready to be critiqued I ordered up a review from CashQuests (August 6th). My ego was pleased to say it was a very positive one. You can see on the traffic graph that as soon as it was published traffic started to rise and rose even further the next day.
- During this time I had been writing my 4 post series on ways to improve PageRank and I submitted each one to the 31 Days to Building a Better Blog on Problogger. On August 8th links to the first 3 tips were published and combining with CashQuests traffic created a major traffic record for Blogging Fingers.
- During the 2 weeks that have followed since then, traffic has levelled and is stable at over 100% more than it was before the record traffic days.
What Did I Do To Keep Such A Large Percentage Of The Traffic?
- I made sure that when traffic arrived over those few days that my best content was on display to bait the new visitors.
- I was ready to have comments accepted and to reply to them, boosting the comment number creating the illusion, which was about to become true, of having a popular blog.
- I reduced monetization. You may think I would have slapped up some ads to try to make as much money from the traffic bust as possible. This wouldn’t have been all that insane on a more established blog, but the priority then (and still is) was to increase RSS feed subscriber numbers and so I did everything possible in order to impress them.
Where Will Blogging Fingers Go From Here?
Just because the stage of building a reasonable sized readership has been achieved does not mean any major changes are suddenly going to happen. It’s going to be more of the same from me, at least until the PageRank update (Fingers crossed for a PR4), which I hope is what you want to hear.
Comment by Cash Quests | 2007-08-23 10:39:53
That reducing monetization trick is gold. I’ve done it myself whenever a big link comes in. Happy to have helped your site!!